It is necessary to depict the meaning and value of the development target. It is valuable to analyze first to WHOM and WHY the development target is important – before any further actions are to be taken to analyse WHAT this means. The motivation view diagram makes visible the reason(s) of the development target: what is the customer and/or business value add of this development target we are going to develop.
Motivation View Diagram – For Analyzing the WHY
A motivation view diagram represents the meaning and value of a development target. Motivation analysis (or Stakeholder Analysis) can be done to any development target such as new service, digitalization plan, business domain area, business transformation, procurement, project etc.
Questions that can be answered and be modeled by utilizing the Motivation View diagram are as follows:
– To WHOM this development target is important, who are interested in this, who have some concerns related to this (stakeholders)?
– WHY this is important, what are the reasons for some change to be made (drivers)?
– What are we trying to achieve (goals)?
– HOW the results can be measured (outcomes), what are the principles and constraints related to this?
– WHAT all this means in practice (e.g. new capability, business service, application service etc.)?
This can be done with ArchiMate Motivation elements as shown in the figure below.
Motivation View Examples
Some examples shown in the figures below. A value can be associated with Application Service (named “Resource mgmt”) in the figure below.
ArchiMate Motivation Elements
ArchiMate concpets that can be used with Business Case -diagrams are introduced in the figure below.
A Motivation View diagram is one of the most valuable diagrams that can be related to a development target. There are closely related variations of the Motivation View, such as Stakeholder View, Goal Realization View and Requirements Realization View – as introduced in ArchiMate spec (link). The other important diagram types are: layered view and integration view.